Budget & Election Results:



There may be some questions regarding the tax money generated by the compressor station and why we cannot use the funds from the compressor station in year one.

In order to add the compressor station tax money to our budget for 2019-20 we would have to exceed the 2 percent tax cap. People would then lose their property tax relief credit and 60 percent of the voters would have to approve the vote.

However, NYS allows us after the first year of receiving the new tax money to add it to our budget WITHOUT EXCEEDING THE 2 PERCENT CAP. This is just how it is. It would be great if we had this flexibility in year one but we do not.

So for 2019-2020 the increase tax revenue will not be budgeted in our expenses, but will serve to lower everyone’s taxes. See below for rates.

For year two and beyond, we will use the funds to run our programs. This is great news since we do not plan to raise taxes beyond the 2018-19 level in 2020-21.


Where do I vote? At the Junior Senior High School building, 600 Route 55, Eldred, New York.

Qualifications to vote:

In order to be legally qualified to vote in the annual school district budget vote and Board of Education election, a person must be:

  • A citizen of the United States.
  • At least 18 years of age or older.
  • A resident within the Eldred Central School District for at least 30 days immediately preceding the voting (must be your primary, permanent residence).
  • Registered to vote. The registration of voters is valid for a period of four years. If the resident has not voted within that period, they must re-register. Residents of the district who are registered to vote in a general election are eligible to vote at school district meetings and elections without further special school district registration.

How do I register?

If you are registered to vote in general elections, you are automatically eligible to vote in school elections. If you are not registered, you may obtain a voter registration form from the District Clerk at the Eldred JSHS. Voters may also obtain a form from Sullivan County Board of Elections at http://www.co.sullivan.ny.us or call (845) 807-0400 / Orange County Board of Elections at www.orangecountygov.com/elections or call (845) 360-6500.

- or -

Register with the District Clerk at the Junior Senior High School

600 Route 55, Eldred, NY 12732

Office Hours: 8:00 am - 2:00 pm, Monday through Friday

You must bring photo ID and proof of residence

Voting by Absentee Ballot:

Absentee ballots are available for voters who are residents of the district but will not be able to physically vote in their designated polling place.

Absentee ballots are available if you are:

  • Unable to vote in person because of illness.
  • Planning to be out of the area on vacation or business.
  • Confined to prison due to conviction of an offense other than a felony.
  • Accompanying a spouse, parent or child of the same residence who can't come to the polls for one of the above reasons.

How do I get an absentee ballot?

Please be aware that there is a two-step process to receive an absentee ballot.

  1. Fill out an application for an absentee ballot to confirm why you will not be able to vote in person.
  2. Fill out the actual absentee ballot to cast your vote.

STEP ONE - Fill out the application for an absentee ballot

First, you must fill out an application for an absentee ballot (PDF) to confirm the reason why you will not be able to vote in person. There are two ways to fill out the application:

  1. You can download and print the application for an absentee ballot (PDF).
  2. You can call the district clerk at (845) 456-1100 x. 5128 and ask to have it mailed to you.

STEP TWO - Fill out the actual ballot to cast your vote.

After you fill out and submit the application for an absentee ballot to the District Clerk, you will receive the actual absentee ballot to cast your vote. Anyone can pick-up multiple absentee ballot applications, but only the voter can personally pick-up an absentee ballot. We are governed by law and there is no exception to this rule.

It is important to remember thatif you want your absentee ballot mailed to you,all applications for absentee ballots MUST be received by the District Clerkat least seven days prior to the vote.

Completed absentee ballots must be received by the district clerk no later than 5 p.m. on May 15, 2018. For more information, contact the district clerk's office at (845)456-1100 x. 5128.

  • Q: Do districts have to make absentee ballots available?
    Yes. All school districts are required by law to make absentee ballots available to qualified voters for the election of school board members, school district public library trustees, the adoption of the annual budget, and school district public library budgets and referenda.
  • Q:Who is entitled to an absentee ballot?
  • A: Any qualified voter who is unable to vote in person due to illness or physical disability, hospitalization, incarceration (unless incarcerated for conviction of a felony), travel outside the voter’s county or city of residence for employment or business reasons, studies, or vacation on the day of the election.
  • Q:Can a resident with dual home ownership vote in person in one district and by absentee ballot in the other?
    A: No. A person may have only one legal residence or domicile for purposes of voting at a school district election. Without proof of permanent residence, the owner of a home within a school district would not be entitled to an absentee ballot. The term "residence" shall be deemed to mean that place where a person maintains a fixed, permanent and principal home and to which he/she wherever temporarily located, always intends to return. A person may have only one legal residence or domicile, and that is the place where such person intends to have his or her permanent residence or home.

Board of Education Election:

In addition to voting on the proposed budget, district residents vote to elect Board of Education members each year. All candidates must file a petition and meet the following criteria:

  • Must be able to read and write
  • Must be a qualified voter of the district, that is, he/she must be a citizen of the United States
  • At least 18 years or older
  • Not be a convicted felon or have been adjudged incompetent
  • Must be and has been a resident of the district for at least one year prior to the election but need not be a taxpayer
  • May be the only member of his/her family on the school board (defined as those within the same household)
  • May not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office
  • Must not have been removed from a school district office within one year of the election
  • May not be a current employee of the district



Please direct all budget questions to the Business Office 845-456-1100 x.5170 and all voting questions to the District Clerk 845-456-1100 x.5128.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.